Sunday 16 March 2014

Valuable Time

Do you spend time with your children ? Do you spend the time you want with your children ? Do you spend the time your children want with them ? This is not my story, I do not know who's story it is, but it is beautiful, and if you love your children then read it. This time the story is for you, mommy and/or daddy, hope it makes you think a bit on the importance of time and the value of your time.

"Papi, may I ask you a question?", asked the Little Girl.
"Yes Little Girl, what is it?", answered Papi.
"Papi, how much money do you make an hour?", asked the Little Girl.
"That is complicated. Why do you want to know?", answered Papi.
"I just want to know. Please tell me, how much money do you make an hour?", insisted the Little Girl.
"If you must know, I make 100 an hour.", answered Papi.
"Oh!", replied the Little Girl with her head down, "Papi, can I borrow 50?"
"If you asked me just to borrow money to buy a silly toy, chocolate or other candy, then you must go straight to your room. I work hard everyday for the money, you can't just think in toys or candy."
The Little Girl went to her room and shut the door.
Papi sat down and started to get even angrier about the little girl's questions. How dare she ask such questions only to get some money?
After a while Papi calmed down and started to think:
Maybe there was something the Little Girl really needed to buy with the 50. The Little Girl didn't ask for money, she asked for things. Papi went to the door of the Little Girl's room and opened the door, "Are you asleep Little Girl?"
"No Papi, I am awake", said the Little Girl.
"Sorry for being angry Little Girl, I was tired and was bad to you. Here is the 50 you wanted."
The Little Girl was happy and smiling, "Thank you Papi!"
Then the Little Girl went to her piggy bank and opened it. The Little Girl took out some money. Papi saw that the Little Girl already had money and started to get angry again. The Little Girl slowly counted her money, and then looked up at Papi.
"Why do you want more money if you already have some?", asked Papi.
"Because I needed more, and now I have it.", answered the Little Girl.
"Papi, I have 100 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you."
Papi was crushed. He put his arms around his little daughter, and he begged for her forgiveness.

It's just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts. Do remember to share that 100 worth of your time with someone you love? If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of days. But the family and friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives. And come to think of it, we pour ourselves more into work than to our family.

Some things are more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment